Thursday, January 5, 2012

Occupy the Grocery Store: Shakshouka to Beat the Post-Holiday Blahs

The good news is that the world did not, in fact, end; the bad news is that the carte blanche for holiday carbs HAS.  As of 2 January, calories count again (1 Jan was a Sunday... nobody starts resolving anything on a Sunday, am I right?) and we're obligated to stop eating like there will be no tomorrow. Sadness prevails.

While I was celebrating the New Year, I ran into a dear old friend of mine and his fiancee who told me about shakshouka, which apparently is all the rage on the Tel Aviv late night scene (I heard the Philly P branch closed there, too).  Now it bears telling that I often eat (and, sadly, get dressed) by combining all of my favorite things and hoping for the best (I know y'all know the outfits I'm talking about)-- shakshouka is pretty much the best iteration of this lifestyle.  Crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, chick peas, cilantro, poached eggs and feta-- what could be better?

I made this yesterday and can now say with certainty that shakshouka will blow your hair back and get you on track for whatever resolutions you made. Plus, it can feed 3-4 for around $10-- I may have to start believing in New Year's Miracles, too!

I followed this recipe, but doubled the onion and about tripled the cumin-- mine was spicy and delish, but if you want a tempered version, click on the link and follow theirs. I won't mind. (Full disclosure: I am running late for yoga so I can just copying/pasting-- consider that link an APA citation!)


Shakshouka
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil 
  • 1 medium onion, chopped 
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 jalapeno,  finely chopped 
  • 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed 
  • 2 tsp paprika 
  • 1.5 tsp ground cumin 
  • 1 15-ounce can FIREROASTED crushed tomatoes, juices and all (this will make or break your sauce-- spend the extra 30 cents for fireroasted!)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta 
  • 4 large eggs 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On the stovetop, heat oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add onion, garlic and jalapenos. Saute, stirring often, until tender and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the chickpeas, paprika and cumin and cook for 2 more minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and their juices and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes, until sauce thickens a bit. 

3. Sprinkle feta over the mixture and crack eggs one at a time on top. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 7 minutes. Top with herbs and serve. 
The action shot... one day I'll get better at pictures.





Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML