Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Not-Even-A-Little-Bit-Healthy Carbomb Cupcakes + Very Healthy Beet Soup

Well, people--the title says it all.  This weekend was superbowl weekend, which means I ate my body weight in guacamole and gluten-free pizza.  What better time to introduce another Chef Kefi Food Philosophy that's all about getting back on the health train than now? 
CKFP #3: Life is about checks and balances.

So today we're dealing with Carbomb Cupcakes that I "decorated" to make look like footballs followed by a delicious beet soup that will help you recover from the weekend without sacrificing deliciousness.

Carbomb Cupcakes

This is a Guiness-based cupcake with a Bailey's icing and chocoalte ganache filling that I also used for the decoration.  I got my recipe here and like it so much I am not even going to bother to paraphrase- read the instructions, they are funny.

Beet Soup
I got my recipe here and didn't stray very far.
 Ingredients: 
  • 2 TBSP olive oil 
  • 2 carrots, roughly chopped 
  • 1/2 onion, roughly chopped 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1.5 lbs fresh beets, washed but not peeled, and roughly chopped
  • 2 sweet potatoes, roughly chopped 
  • 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
  • 2 c water 
  • 2 cups(or vegetable broth) 
  • Optional: fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, dill, cardamom...I used some kale I had hanging around.)
Assembly:
1.  Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onions, and garlic, and saute for 3-4 minutes. 
2. Add the beets, potatoes, vinegar, and whatever herbs you're using. Add the water/broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium - cook for 30-40 minutes, or until beets are soft. (Note: I forgot to cover it so all the moisture escaped, which is why it kind of looks like beet sauce in the picture above. Moral of the story--read the recipe.)
3. Puree in a blender or food processor until it's at consistency you like. Be careful--beets stain!




Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML