Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Songs That Won't Make Your Ears Bleed

By now, you are probably inundated with Christmas music-- it is on the radio, in the malls, at the office, and in your head (sometimes permanently).  But, I'll bet most of these songs don't make into into rapid rotation on your Christmas Pandora Station--enjoy!

 James Brown gets funky and real--and the fact that this is not a holiday standard is proof that Clearchannel is run by hacks.
9-  Just Like Christmas--Low  Normally I'm not one for ambient rock--but this song is good enough to make me look past its hipster tendencies. The beat is all jingle bells, the lyrics take us on a tour of snowy European cities for what seems like no reason at all, and it's bound to get stuck in your head until Memorial Day--but I'd be lying if I said this isn't the absolute first song I put on while baking cookies.
8- This Christmas--Donnie Hathaway This just may be the original Soul Carol--probably not, but it's one of the best. Oh and Chris Brown--next time, leave well enough alone!
7- Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas--Frank Sinatra  I really wish I could list the Judy Garland version of this song, just to avoid such a predictable addition to this list, but I just think Frankypoo captures so much of Christmas in this song--the happiness of the season, the sadness of the season, the nostalgia we have for Christmases past...  If you are over 25 and can listen to this version without feeling a little tug at your heart strings, you may want to check your license to be sure you aren't actually an evil green lurker who lives in Whoville.
6- Merry Christmas, Baby-- Ray Charles I bet you anything this is what plays while Barack and Michelle decorate for Christmas. 
5- Run, Rudolph, Run-- Chuck Berry Go ahead and TELL me you can listen to this song without picturing the family from Home Alone charging through the airport. Impossible!
4-White Christmas--Otis Redding I cannot for the life of me understand why they play any other version of this song.
3- O Come, All Ye Faithful--Nat King Cole As a kid, I looked forward to the first three minutes of Christmas Eve mass for THIS song (it was a Catholic church--we didn't switch it up much).  The lyrics of this song have old-hymn flavor but the melody is all soul--plus, the pitch is just right for almost anyone to belt it out.
2- All I Want for Christmas Is You-- Mariah Carey  I have probably just excommunicated myself from the Family Kef for not making this the number one song... but you just GOTTA listen to:
1- Chrissy the Christmas Mouse--Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor I worked in a mall during high school, and heard this song one day during the madness of holiday shopping. Ever since, I have carried the incredible burden of being just about the only person who believes in the magic of Chrissy the Christmas Mouse (to all you who still believe in the tooth fairy: I feel you!) No one believes me that it is a real song-- but I am hereby cementing its validity on the blogosphere. Let it be known- CTCM is real, and it is #1!




Subscribe to Our Blog Updates!




Share this article!

2 comments:

  1. "This Christmas" is my favorite Christmas tune! I agree that Otis's "White Christmas" is the best version. Now if only I could find my own Chrissy the Christmas mouse for my house.

    -Laura Tones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an objection to number one - I'm pretty sure you just recorded that and put it on youtube.

    (I had to.)

    Merry Christmas!

    Love,
    Golden

    ReplyDelete

Return to top of page
Powered By Blogger | Design by Genesis Awesome | Blogger Template by Lord HTML